 Robotics / 13298
Re: Ball-less mice (was :Re: FW: Another DIY sensor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:23:38 GMT

I just got a usb or ps/2 optical mouse (with a wheel!) for $20 at compusa. I'm not
sure who is trying to get an optical mouse to work with the Rcx, but i'd like any
information on it that they have. Doing a little research, I found out that, when
used with ps/2, mice are supplied 5 volts dc and have two data outputs, for a total
of 4 wires. I'm not sure how much power the rcx supplies, but optical mice should
be able to work with the rcx. The only problem is getting the rcx to understand the
inputs and what to do with them...

Jason

Martin wrote:

David Wegmuller wrote:

The optical mice that do not require a special tablet to operate all use the
same sensor, made by Agilent (formaly HP). It is the HDNS2000.
The spec can be found here:
http://www.semiconductor.agilent.com/cmos/hdns2000.html

Basically, this thing has 2 types of output:
- PS/2 (connects directly to a PC) (used by Microsoft and some Logitech mice)
- Burst quadrature (used by some Logitech mice)

Greetings,
David

PS: I believe that some mice are now down to $20~30.

I can confirm this, at least for the US market; I just bought the
Logitech optical wheel mouse, and it was $30 at Fry's in Campbell,
California.