 Robotics / 13297
13296  |  13298
Subject:
Recipricating motion problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:06:48 GMT

I have two 24 tooth gears. The lower gear is one hole down, six holes
over from the upper gear. Like so (the @ are where the center of the
gears are):

           @
@*****
^1     2^
I need to make it so that by turning gear 1 continusaly, in only one
direction, gear 2 turns a 1/4 turn, and the goes back to the starting
position (ie gear 2 turns 90 degrees clockwise, then turns 90 degrees
counterclockwise. it can not turn back through use of a rubber band, the
rotating must come soley from gear 1, which is turning in only one
direction) How could I go about doing this? What I have been trying so
far is to use an axle like those on a train, with one end of the axle
attach to one of the holes in gear 1 and the other end attached to one
of the holes in gear 2. So far i have gotten gear 2 to rotate 45 and
back and i have gotten it to rotate more than 90, but not back (not sure
by how much it over rotated, after 90, the gear hits stuff and can't
rotate anymore, so it stops moving, and stops gear 1 from moving,
grinding everything to a halt) I have only tried a few combinations of
axles and connectors with the gears, but rather than go through all of
them (there must be at least a hundred!), has anyone done this before
and gotten it to work? Does anyone have any other suggestions how i
could do this?

Jason

P.S. If this confuses you, I have an mlcad that shows how it is supposed
to work. Drop me a line and I'll send it to you.