 Robotics / 13085
Re: Gear spacings.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:31:34 GMT

Can't agree with you here Jennifer. I mean, isn't this half the fun of
technic building? Working out gear ratio's, how to fit them in your model,
changing, compromising.... If you'd write a program like that, link it to
some CAD application, and if you take this a few steps further you might as
well sell your LEGO and stick to virtual building....

That was my creative side speaking. A word from my abstract (programmers')
side: yeah, that's a nice challenge to program! A nice exercise in
mathematical modelling.

I'm afraid the creative side won this one....

Duq

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
Something else I've thought would be handy would be a program which would • take
as inputs the desired positions of the input and output axles in a gear • train
and the desired gear ratio. Space constraints in the form of "bricks" • blocking
off certain volumes of space would also be input. The program would then • go off
and compute all possible gear trains (if any) that fit the parameters. A • degree
of "fuzziness" could be built in that would allow, for example, variations • of
the desired gear ratio, and perhaps a factor could be specified stating • the
desired "perfectness" of the gear geometry.