 Robotics / 13093
Re: Gear spacings.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:45:05 GMT

I'm forwarding this from John Deters, who is currently waiting to be able to post
to the newsgroup. Replies to jad@ANTISPAM.pclink.com please :-)

Many years ago I wrote precisely such a program to solve the problem
of selecting change gear ratios for cutting threads.  It was in GWBASIC
(I told you it was *many* years ago :-) and was basically a hunting
loop.  It knew about all the available gear teeth, and you could give
it an acceptable error tolerance.  It also had size constraints (the
gears had to fit in the gear box) and they were expressed in code in
the form of:
       Gear A < (Gear B * 2) + (Gear C / 3) - Gear D
           and
       Gear B >= (2 * Gear C)
Yes, they were hard-coded equations but since the gear box was made of
cast iron, I thought it was a safe assumption.

The program had a list of 35 or so gears, and could hunt its way through
all relevant combinations in just minutes on an old 4.77 MHz PC.  The
search space was considerably smaller than you might think, because you
can optimize the loops to ignore gears that obviously won't fit.

I suspect a modern computer examining possible combinations of the dozen
or so Technics gears would finish in less time than it takes a human to
compute the desired gear ratio.

I'll see if I can find a copy.  The machine shop I wrote it for
still uses it, so I'll ask them.

John