 Robotics / 13079
Re: Gear spacings.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:17:26 GMT

J G Gregory wrote:

So who is going to publish the super handbook on all these?  We really need
a "Technic Techniques" companion to the Mindstorms books.  Although things
like this are fairly trivial to compute, having a handy reference would be
nice.

Something else I've thought would be handy would be a program which would take
as inputs the desired positions of the input and output axles in a gear train
and the desired gear ratio. Space constraints in the form of "bricks" blocking
off certain volumes of space would also be input. The program would then go off
and compute all possible gear trains (if any) that fit the parameters. A degree
of "fuzziness" could be built in that would allow, for example, variations of
the desired gear ratio, and perhaps a factor could be specified stating the
desired "perfectness" of the gear geometry.

The problem is obviously of exponential complexity, but for small numbers of
gears is no doubt managable without resorting to complex AI or constraint
satisfaction techniques.

Of course, if it could also work out the necessary bracing to hold it all
together, it would be even better :-)

Jennifer Clark