 Robotics / 13072
  Gear spacings.

I've never seen a table of allowed spacings between gear wheels. (For example, two 40t gears will mesh nicely if spaced apart by three studs horizontally and 3 and one-third bricks vertically). I wrote a little program to compute all possible (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

This may be more appropriate for lugnet.technic. There has been postings or listings of these before, but don't let that stop you. You should add the turntable gears (outside is 56t, I think) somehow. I also would rather see the vertical in mixed (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

(...) Something else I've thought would be handy would be a program which would take as inputs the desired positions of the input and output axles in a gear train and the desired gear ratio. Space constraints in the form of "bricks" blocking off (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

(...) Well, I happen to work for a company which is just about to market a product for dealing with constraints - and this seems as a nice problem for making a small demo this weekend. Fuzziness and perfection must wait, though. I will post an URL (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

Can't agree with you here Jennifer. I mean, isn't this half the fun of technic building? Working out gear ratio's, how to fit them in your model, changing, compromising.... If you'd write a program like that, link it to some CAD application, and if (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

(...) Well, I think this is something you could divide into two parts: STEP 1: Find all combination of gears that'll produce a gear ratio within some user-specified range using less than some specified number of gear wheels. That's a simple problem (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

(...) You have a good point there, and like yourself, part of me is in agreement. Even with that, I think perhaps one of the most interesting things about a program like this would be seeing if it came up with anything unusual or non-obvious that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear spacings.

I'm forwarding this from John Deters, who is currently waiting to be able to post to the newsgroup. Replies to jad@ANTISPAM.pclink.com please :-) ... Many years ago I wrote precisely such a program to solve the problem of selecting change gear (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.robotics)