 Robotics / 12866
Re: Rechargable batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:45:09 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:

<snip>

  EverReady 'Renewal' AA's are a minor variation of Alkaline's that allows
             them to be recharged a couple of dozen times before they
             expire.  The charger is 'exotic' compared to a NiCad charger,
             and they are DEFINITELY not interchangable.

Let me add a few words concerning Renewal's, from my own experiences...
Renewal's *like* to be recharged frequently, particualarly while they still have
some remaining charge in them. Deep-discharging a Renewal is *not* a good thing
and seems to lead to premature end-of-life.

Yes - I'd heard that...and to finish the story, Lead/Acid batteries (such as
car and motorcycle batteries) should NEVER be run completely flat as it's
very bad for them...completely the opposite of NiCads which should always
be run flat.

Dunno about the new Li-Ion's and other esoteric types though. I think the one
in my cell-phone says that you don't need to run it flat - but I don't recollect
any warnings about not running them down completely.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>