 Robotics / 12865
Re: Rechargable batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:29:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:

<snip>

  EverReady 'Renewal' AA's are a minor variation of Alkaline's that allows
             them to be recharged a couple of dozen times before they
             expire.  The charger is 'exotic' compared to a NiCad charger,
             and they are DEFINITELY not interchangable.

Let me add a few words concerning Renewal's, from my own experiences...
Renewal's *like* to be recharged frequently, particualarly while they still have
some remaining charge in them. Deep-discharging a Renewal is *not* a good thing
and seems to lead to premature end-of-life.

The second curious thing about Renewal's has to do with battery size. D-cells
are more robust and (seemingly) can be recharged more times than AAs or AAAs.
AAAs seem to be (from my experience) a losing proposition. This may have
something to do with 'avoiding deep discharge' principle. Although the charger
can charge C cells, I have never used them for anything.

My best usage for the D-cells is my Maglite. I recharge them every few days,
and use the light constantly.

I really wish that someone would make an external D-cell holder, with a
universal adapter on the end of a cord. Then my digital camera would be *much*
happier using Renewals.

Ray Sanders
numero 124