 Robotics / 11772
Re: Building a Postscript printer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:18:47 GMT

"Manoj Plakal" <plakal@no-spam.cs.wisc.edu> writes:

I'm completely new to the Lego Mindstorms scene. I was
thinking about getting RIS 1.5  this summer, and one cool
project I was thinking about was building a robot
that could be used as a printer or plotter of vector graphics
e.g., Postscript, or the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
Markup Language from www.w3.org.

The system would consist of a main driver running on
a PC controlling the robot which would basically
hold the pens and which would move over chart paper.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any comments on
feasibility? Is it possible for the driver on the PC to
continually talk to the RCX after the initial download
of the RCX program?

I don't know where the fun is for you, in the mechanics and
programming of the RCX or in the conversion Postscript ->
Plotter commands.  If it's the first part you might want to
look for a converter from Postscript to some simple Plotter
language (don't know if any exists, but probably other
people got the same idea too) and instead implement the
plotter language.

In the mid eighties I programmed for a Siemens C1604 plotter
that had mostly single letter commands, e.g. `K' move to
absolute position, `H' lower the pen, `I' lift it etc.
Coordinates were specified by `C' followed by integers,
where the unit of measurement was 0.1mm.  So `C1000 2000K'
moves the pen to the absolute position with x=10cm and
y=20cm.  Such a language should be well-suited to the RCX,
probably the processor in that old plotter was in the same
ballpark.

Good luck

Jürgen

--