 Robotics / 11198
Re: Dinsmore Compass interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:08:02 GMT

Roger,

I'm interested in your interface, do you have schematics available?  Or is this
a package you sell?  I've done a good deal of electronics work, so I'm ok with
converting it to a non surface mount device.

I have also just found a compass device for the Palm Pilot from Precision
Navigation (http://www.precisionnavigation.com/palmnavigator3rd.html).  I've
been working on communicating between my palm & the RCX with the intention of
adding the palm to the robot as a control device.  If this device can be
accessed via some type of API it could be used instead of an additional RCX
sensor.  It saves a sensor port also.  However, I STILL like the idea of a
compass the RCX can talk to.

-Wes

Roger Hamlett wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Wes Matchett writes:
I've read a lot of discussion about compass sensors ranging over almost two
years and as of yet have heard a success story.
I have a working interface for the RCX. The 'problem' with it, is that it is
all surface mount, making construction a 'bit of a pig' for anybody who is not
experienced with this type of construction. It returns 0-96 'round the
circle', seen as a normal 'light' sensor, and is pretty good. At 'north', it
will sometimes see 96, and sometimes 0 (depending on which direction you have
arrived from). The Dinsmore sensor is to my mind 'overdamped' in this
application, I had to write my code so the unit stops, takes a reading, then
corrects it's course, rather than working 'on the fly'. You also have to be
very careful of magnetic interference from the motors...

I've reached the point I'd like my RCX to be able to accurately do two things:
1) be able to follow a sequence direction/distance commands.
2) be able to go someplace, recording its movement, and be able to retrace • it
path.

Since the granularity of non-military grade GPS accuracy is expressed in terms
of yards .vs. inches - it seems that compass based guidance is the best
alternative.

I am about to purchase a Dinsmore compass (model 1655) for RCX orientation.
Before making the purchase, I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with
either of the analog Dinsmore compasses (1525 or 1655).

Since they produce an analog voltage in the 0-5v range I'm expecting the
interface described by Michael at http://www.alynk.com/usr/gasperi/gpa.htm to
work just fine.
You have to be more complex. The compass returns two voltages, one a sin
curve, and the other the cosine. The interface has to read both voltages, and
where they 'cross', and then convert these to generate the 'angle'. I use
linear interpolation between the crossing points, then a 'look up' table to
actually do the required conversion - this is done by a PIC12C671, inside the
actual sensor...

My hope is that the cost involved will be minimal above the compass - $35, and
that the interface is quite simple; simple enough that anyone willing to do a
little soldering can build it.  If this works, we should have a well priced
direction sensor.
The 'cost' is about right, but as I said, the complexity a little more. I
could 'rebuild' my unit in non surface mount, without it getting too large (at
present it fits in a 4*4 'brick', by the height of the Dinsmore sensor (which
is unfortunately rather tall). I have since been trying other approaches, such
as very sensitive direct sensors rather than the Dinsmore unit, to try to
reduce the cost, and size...

Best Wishes