 Robotics / 11199
11198  |  11200
Subject:
Control Your Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 07:05:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi,

We're a group of six students at Loughborough University who are doing a
project using the Lego Mindstorms kit to produce a autonomous robot. One of
the things we're doing is creating a Mission Planner that allows you to
setup a route for the robot to follow and then the robot follows it. At this
stage in our project it's general enough that it can work with a variety of
robot designs, and so we've decided to put it on our project website for
people to download.

Basically what you can do is the following.... Using the Mission Planner you
can load in a picture to represent the area for your robot to explore, be it
your living room or whatever. Once you have setup some dimensions of this
area you can then start placing waypoints for your robot to follow. At each
waypoint you can tell the robot to perform a particular task. These tasks
are currently just an assortment of beeps, but you can modify the NQC to
change them to whatever you want. By downloading the main NQC file to your
robot and calibrating it for distance and turning ability you are then ready
to go. Press play and the robot will start to follow the waypoints you have
laid out, performing tasks at each waypoint as setup in advance.

Everything you need is contained in a single zip file, together with some
text files to help you understand what to do. The download can be found in
the 'development' section of our project website. If you have any comments
about the software then please let us know.

Website....

    http://www.odyssey-systems.freeserve.co.uk

Have fun,

Andy.