 Robotics / 11176
11175  |  11177
Subject:
Dinsmore Compass interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 04:32:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've read a lot of discussion about compass sensors ranging over almost two
years and as of yet have heard a success story.

I've reached the point I'd like my RCX to be able to accurately do two things:
  1) be able to follow a sequence direction/distance commands.
  2) be able to go someplace, recording its movement, and be able to retrace it
path.

Since the granularity of non-military grade GPS accuracy is expressed in terms
of yards .vs. inches - it seems that compass based guidance is the best
alternative.

I am about to purchase a Dinsmore compass (model 1655) for RCX orientation.
Before making the purchase, I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with
either of the analog Dinsmore compasses (1525 or 1655).

Since they produce an analog voltage in the 0-5v range I'm expecting the
interface described by Michael at http://www.alynk.com/usr/gasperi/gpa.htm to
work just fine.

My hope is that the cost involved will be minimal above the compass - $35, and
that the interface is quite simple; simple enough that anyone willing to do a
little soldering can build it.  If this works, we should have a well priced
direction sensor.

I welcome any comments.

-Wes