 Robotics / 11178
Re: Dinsmore Compass interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 11:31:52 GMT

Hi,

As a university project we are doing something similar to what you have
said. We are using a dinsmore compass with the schematic provided by Roger
Hamlett. hat we have also done is built a 'mission planner' application that
allows you to set up a series of waypoints and then get the robot to follow
them. At each waypoint you can give the robot a task to perform.

The appliation uses a WIndow GUI environment and allows you to overlay a
bitmap image of the area you want to explore. We have set up a project
webpage with more details (link below) We should soon have on the web page a
version of the mission planner that will work with simple robots, using
timing information for performing turns. The version currently available on
the page does not actually communicate with a robot (it was put up so people
could test out the GUI).

Within the next month or so we should have a version that works with the
DIsnmore Compass. We are also developing some PC based artificial
intelligence. Basically you can set up your waypoints and also define 'no-go
areas' The AI will automatically find a route around these areas and will
also be able to avoid obstacles detected by the robot.

Project Webpage...

www.geocities.com/odysseysystems