 Robotics / 10854
SV: Questions about unoficial (?) use of electrical LEGO parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:19:26 GMT

I wouldn't advice you to connect the Cybermaster directly to the RCX,
you should use an optocoupler or similar...

Regards, Thomas

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Marco C. [mailto:marco@soporcel.pt]
Sendt: 29. februar 2000 18:56
Til: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Emne: Questions about unoficial (?) use of electrical LEGO parts

Well, before I go ahead and try it, I would like to get some feedback on
the following (some naive) questions:

1) Is there any risk of damaging the Fiber Optic Light Unit (#6637) if I
connect it to a pBrick (RCX, CiberMaster, etc) OUTPUT port ?

2) This seems to be a very stupid question, but... Could I connect an
OUTPUT port of a pBrick (CiberMaster) to an IN port of another pBrick (ex:
RCX) ?

All these weird questions are related to the fact that I need my
CiberMaster to pass along messages it receives through RF to other pBricks
fisically attached to it (multi pBrick bot/rover). Once the "request" is in
a Mindstorms pBrick domain, *with IR*, then all the msgs could be sent
through "normal" IR between the rest of the pBricks.

The cenario is this:

CiberMaster (pBrick A):
- is the one that does all the comms with the PC through RF.
(RF = One of the reasons behind the use of a CiberMaster)
- is in charge of the mobility of the bot.
(already has the 2 motors in a "vehicle" position, might as well use them)
- transmits commands to another pBrick B (ex: Scout or RCX+LightSensor)

pBrick B:
- is in charge of controlling the tilt/roll of a Cam using 2 motors
- will *retransmit* through IR, commands to other possible pBricks (C,D,...)
(functioning as an interface between CiberMaster and other IR enabled
pBricks)

pBrick C, D, ...:
- receive the IR requests and act accordingly, for example, as a robotic
arm controller, etc...

All this trouble because of the lack of enough OUTPUT (and INPUT) ports.

Any comments ?
Marco C. aka McViper