 Robotics / 10634
Re: Inexpensive air tank found at WalMart!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:39:14 GMT

   Think about using a hand tire pump to inflate a tire/tyre... it only has
the capacity of the cylinder you are pumping... compare that to running a
pnematic pump with no tank... you could never pump fast enought to keep up
with an air chisel...
   Now compare that to an air compressor with a tank... the compressor fills
the tank with a large volume of air to be used upon demand... a small 10/15
gallon tank could operate one air tool, a large 55/80 gallon compressor can
power an entire autobody repair shop using multiple tools at once... (Realize
also there is a duty cycle... you can't take more air out than is in there so
there is a recovery time... but usually you build in duty cycle to the purpose
you buy the compressor for.  If you are inflating tires/tyres you don't need a
100% duty cycle... if you are tightening nuts with an impact wrench you aren't
going to want a small tank that you can take 3 nuts off then have to wait for
5 minutes for the tank to refill.

The more cylinders you plan on operating the more capacity on demand you will
want to build in to your circuits.  Multiple pumps will meet the need of
filling your storage faster (most bigger real-life air compressors use a two
cylinder compressor).

I'm sure that C S Soh can add much more to my feeble attempt to simplify :)

Dave

In lugnet.robotics, MeTzBoi3104@aol.com writes:
I know this sounds syupid after all th talk of air tanks, but what exactly
can you use air tanks for??