 Publishing / Photography / 54
Re: New Outdoor Robot Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:15:32 GMT

"Micah J. Mabelitini" <micahx@kih.net> writes:
Jennifer Clark wrote:
It also only brings JPEG images into the computer, but I am sure this is actually
how they are stored in the camera anyway so there should be no loss at the
downloading stage.

But there is a loss from the camera's CCD to the file write. Irritating
that they do this sort of thing just so they can market the camera as
having a higher maximum capacity than it would otherwise have using a
raw format. My S20 has has three compression levels: Crappy, Normal and
'Superfine', and I have yet to see any quality increase between Normal
and Superfine. They seem to have exactly the same amount of JPEG
artifacts, yet the file size is about four times larger in Superfine mode.

My Olympus Camedia has a TIFF mode.  Nyah Nyah.  ;-)

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx