 Publishing / 877
Re: Opera Software browser (was: Re: MSIE5 security hole)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 02:38:12 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman writes:

Hey!  I see a cookies.dat file in my user directory too.  That's very
interesting.  Hmm.  Darn thing's binary (boo! hiss!) but anyway, as far
as I can tell, the cookies feature in Opera 3.60 is forgen borken.  If
you know how to make 'em work, I'd love to know (so I can tell users how
if they ever ask).  I've got "Enable Cookies" checked in the Advanced
Preferences dialog box, and yet it won't remember cookies on two
different pages that Navigator and Exploiter do just fine.

What sites are these?  I'll try them with mine.

I can't give out the URLs because they're private LUGNET-admin pages, but
one that you could test which uses the same cookie-storage code is this:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

My guess is:  If a website named www.foo.com sends a cookie labled .foo.com,
that Opera mistakenly thinks it's a mismatch (it's not) and doesn't send the
cookie back to the server.  (Again, this is just a guess.)

Could you modify your cookies so that it used www.lugnet.com instead of
.lugnet.com?  So that at least _one_ site is compatible with Opera ;^)

I'm getting pretty sick of typing my name/address in the web interface.

But it doesn't do <DL></DL>.  :-(
Mine does it just fine.  How were these tags used?

http://www.lugnet.com/sitemap.cgi

This looks okay in Opera...

[...]
Maybe you (or whomever the author was) didn't close a tag.

That was my first thought, so I ran the code through Imagiware's "Doctor
HTML" weblinter <http://www2.imagiware.com/RxHTML/> and then through W3's
validator <http://validator.w3.org/> and both parsed the <DL> lists
correctly.  So I figured it must've just been some weird bug in Opera.

But now that you mention it, the <DT> tags aren't being closed explicitly.

Of course, <DT> tags (and many others such as <DD>, <TD>, <LI>, etc.) don't
need to be closed explicitly, so Opera has a bug in its HTML parser if it
requires that.  It's possible that Opera is also confused by the existence
of <DT> without an accompanying <DD>, but it's more likely that the parser
is just broken a bit.

It seems to do unclosed <P> tags okay.  But, like you said, it could just be a
discrepancy in the parser.

Amos Bieler
Note: Unorthodox spam block in place.