 Publishing / 806
Re: MSIE5 security hole
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 03:44:34 GMT

Adam Howard <abhoward10@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,

Will this have an effect on UTK's PC's?  They use IE5, I believe.

Which UTK PCs?  If you mean the ones in the labs they most certainly
do not have IE5 on them, nor will they have it anytime real soon.

I like IE5 alot, and I get pretty freakin tired of all the stupid
potshots people take at it and MS without acknowledging the fact that
the major competing browser/package has a tons of problems/bugs/issues
of its own.

That doesn't mean I want IE5 used in an area for which I have to
provide support.

Some stuff is still broke in IE5 - things I'd rather not deal with
when it comes to thousands of students needing to do something and
finding out they don't work.  I can deal with a couple of odd pages
not working on my own machine, but I'm not dumb enough to give myself
more work to do everyday by putting it out there for the public to
use.

That doesn't sound hypocritical, does it?

As for the security issue, though, strictly speaking about the lab
machines, I honestly couldn't care less.  I can have any lab machine I
want wiped and rebuilt in under 10 minutes, so people can hack into
them and store donky pron on them for all I care.  The servers are
another matter, but then again, the servers aren't running IE5 either.
:)

I'd say for the most part some random people may be affected by this,
but most won't be.  This isn't the first "oh no - if you go to this
webpage some malicious hacker could do things to your machine" hole
they've found in either browser, and it won't be the last.  The world
didn't end the last time something like this popped up, and it won't
now.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I see all this stuff come through other channels
long before some random surfer finds it on a major network's website,
so it's been quite a while since I saw one of these announcements and
thought anything other than, "hey, can't wait for all the hype and the
10 billion forwarded e-mail messages my well-meaning by mostly
ignorant family members and friends will send me over this, wanting to
know if it's a big deal or not."  :)

As an aside, can anyone else say they've had more than 50 people mail
them about the stupid Y2K/short date format thing with Windows? :)

--
The parts you want without a bunch of crap?
Run your own LEGO auctions for free!