 Publishing / 4647
Re: LENNI Additions to RSS/Atom spec - preliminary proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:26:31 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Huw Millington wrote:

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message

I've really fallen for the idea of having lang/lot there.  If we can't
have it there, can we perhaps add it in another field?  It would make it
SO easy to find how far events are... :)

It would indeed, although the task of determining the co-ordinates falls
upon the publisher, and it is not that easy a task for the novice.

That's one of my concerns as well. It is a nifty idea, but it's pretty far
outside the original scope of the project. Parsing latitude/longitude (and
distances between two points) implies a level of complexity well above a simple
XML text parser. I'm concerned that adding it will prohibit developers from
implementing it in xml generators and aggregators, or content providers from
utilizing it if they need to do a lot of extra work to find that data.

Having said that, we could mitigate the problem and basically put in a switch
for the Geography tag, which wouldn't be too onerous. The element can have an
attribute specifying type of locator, either coordinates (as in ISO-6709[1]) or
region from ISO-3166-2 (or even ISO-3166-1 for lazy people).

<lenni:geography locator="coords">+4546.090-12279.800</lenni:geography>[2]
<lenni:geography locator="region">US-OR</lenni:geography>

Heck, if we wanted to be inclusive, put in an optional switch for zip/postal
code, phone prefix, etc. That might be a bit much (like lat/long isn't ;) ).

It's more work for developers, but it does provide some flexibility for content
providers.

On another topic, I'm still trying to track down a definitive list of "official"
LEGO themes, and then another list of unofficial fan groupings. Anybody have
anything on that? I'll probably post another question in other areas of LUGNET
for that one, since the geek factor is probably keeping some helpful people away
from this thread.

- Kelly

[1] ISO-6709 Examples: http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/iso6709-en.html
[2] I'll award 1 BZPower Protodermis bump to the first person who tells me where
that is. C'mon, you know you want to.