 Publishing / 4641
Re: LENNI Additions to RSS/Atom spec - preliminary proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:33:03 GMT

Great comments, thanks!

To recap, here's what I'm gleaning from the comments. I agree with 1-4, am shaky
on 5, like leaving 6 alone, need more info for 7, and like the optimism of 8.

1. Namespace "lenni" in lower case - since XML tags are by definition l/c.

2. Place "Community" at Feed level.

3. FILTER changes to (Compartment) [or something like that] and is REQUIRED.

4. THEMES: Increase the LEGO themes to include a much larger number, and add
"Other" (although I'm not sure how useful that would be, since this is an
optional element). QUESTION: Is there a definitive listing of all LEGO-derived
Themes? (Note: the use of theme "Galidor" is deprecated and is not required to
be supported by LENNI-enhanced software. Theme "Jack Stone" is an optional item,
supported only at the developer's discretion. <FOGHORN_LEGHORN>That there's a
joke, son</FOGHORN_LEGHORN>)

5. Separate fan-defined groupings from Themes, perhaps as GENRE, including:
  - Sculpture
  - SNOT
  - Micro
  - CAD/Software
  - Sea Monkeys
  - etc.
Suggestions welcome for element name and values, or if this is becoming too
granular to add an entirely new element. Perhaps by seeing a complete list we
can see if it merits its own category. I'm not entirely convinced it does at
this point, because it's a multiple-use element per item, and these groupings
seem to fit logically into "Themes".

6. NYFOL: That was a late-night attempt at defining non-fans. "Age" is one
defining factor in this filter, but I'm not sure it's the only one we should
address, hence the change to "Audience" as the element name.

Here's my thinking for the audience element:
FOL - All people, young and old, who have a current interest in anything related
to LEGO.
KFOL - Children (using COPPA[1], defined as 13 and younger), with a current
interest in anything related to LEGO
AFOL - Adults (conversely defined as 14 and older), with a current interest in
anything related to LEGO
NYFOL - Not Yet Fans of LEGO, or anybody who doesn't fit into the above three
categories. I can foresee some content that might be targeted toward non-current
LEGO enthusiasts, yet still utilize the LENNI system. Although LENNI is
primarily a mechanism for the LEGO community to share information, I see no
reason to build that limitation in.

So in descending order of inclusiveness, you have EVERYONE, then FOL or NYFOL,
then within FOL either AFOL or KFOL.

7. Geography - Need a good definition of how this will work, which will be easy
enough to implement but powerful enough to be useful.

8. LENNI name should also be able to fit as a non-LEGO acronym. :)

- Kelly

[1] COPPA is a well-meant yet flawed piece of US legislation aimed at protecting
children online.