 Publishing / 4645
Re: LENNI Additions to RSS/Atom spec - preliminary proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:59:37 GMT

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:28:55AM +0000, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
The most easily-implemented regional listing is the ISO-3166-2
standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1 (Click "Local ISO
codes" next to the country in question). This gets down to the
state/province level, and while it's not very granular, it is standard
and kept up to date.

Does this solve the "what's near me" problem?  Perhaps there's an API
someplace that will help figure that out?

So, is there a good enough reason to search for a spec more granular
than the ISO-3166-2 standard (which is worldwide)? One that would
outweigh the content creators' pain in implementation?

I figure the same web-app could be written to generate lat/long?  Maybe
that's not so easy to do, I haven't looked it up?

Huw also recommends breaking the Themes into two parts. Here are a
couple of questions:

1. Are "LEGO-Defined Themes" and "Broad interest categories" (as two
   examples) mutually exclusive? In other words, would they fit
   together in the same list?

Probably not, imo.

2. Is there value to the content provider or content consumer to being
   able to filter by "Micro Scale" AND "Trains"? Or does the fact that
   you can defined two Themes in an item render this moot?

I think so - think CAD and Space, for instance.  But yes, if both CAD
and Space are themes, the ability is already provided.

3. Would "Interest Grouping" be a better term than "Theme", and could
   that encompass all the types of filtering we've discussed?

The problem with the two lists is that they're of a different type.  The
LEGO theme list is a finite list, that we can't allow users to
change/add to on the fly.  The other list (CAD, micro, etc) is user
defined, and cannot be limited in the spec.  The spec might have ways to
suggest values for that list, but it must allow expansion of it by end
users.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com