 Publishing / 3815
Re: Picture size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:41:19 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Frank Filz writes:
What do you think is a good balace between file size (speed) and largest
display (detail) of a jpeg photo on a website?

A picture much larger than 800x600 is also generally wasted because few
people run at higher than 1024x768 resolution. A 1024x768 picture is
acceptable if the detail warrants it. Much larger and you're down to a
tiny handful who will not have to scroll to see your image.

Agree, agree, agree, and agree. Just thought I'd put in that the only other
concievable reason I could think of for pictures in excess of 800x600 would
be for printing/photoediting purposes. But since that only occurrs once in a
blue moon (IE usually your target audience for something like this is one or
two people), I'd advise against doing it...

DaveE