 Publishing / 3814
Re: Picture size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:25:37 GMT

Jude Beaudin wrote:

What do you think is a good balace between file size (speed) and largest
display (detail) of a jpeg photo on a website?

I go for 800x600 or smaller generally. Sometimes a large picture is
worthwhile, but if you are including the pictures in-line in a website,
you might want to have a smaller picture with a link to the big one.
Cropping is one of the best ways to reduce image size. I hate waiting
minutes to download a picture which won't fit on my screen of someone's
kitchen table just to see a small MOC in the middle of the table. Crop
the darned thing! You could use a combination of image size reduction
and cropping. Reduce the size of an image to a modest size, plus, crop a
closeup of an interesting detail from the original picture.

Also, NEVER use image scaling to reduce the size of a picture for a web
site, all you're doing is making me wait to download your huge detailed
picture only to have most of the detail tossed by the shrinking. Resize
the picture with an image editor and then put the new smaller image on
the page.

A picture much larger than 800x600 is also generally wasted because few
people run at higher than 1024x768 resolution. A 1024x768 picture is
acceptable if the detail warrants it. Much larger and you're down to a
tiny handful who will not have to scroll to see your image.

Another place larger images which need to be scrolled can be ok is
something like a track plan. I'm willing to scroll around something like
that so that I can have an image with enough detail to understand the
track plan.

Frank