 Publishing / 2934
Re: Greatest Hits page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:20:16 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Matthew Gerber writes:
Comments and questions:
2) Would there be a way of JUST doing the most viewed files themselves, no
folders involved? Or would this be too consuming time and effort wise? Would
it generate too many new hits?

That would produce a string of files that came from the same folder.
Probably not as interesting.

3) Back to the hit counters, are the totals for the member main page
cumulative of the folders and files shown? Same for the individual folders?
Or are we seeing the actual times the individual 'view' (folder, file, page)
has been seen?

(Answered in another post)

4) Is there a way to take the 'greatest hits' pages OUT of the count, and
avoid the feedback loop all together?

Matt

Nope, viewing the thumbnails on a greatest hits page does not change any
view counters, just like viewing the thumbnails on the recent page doesn't.
Once you click on a folder in the hits page, you use the exact same
request that you do to get that folder otherwise (gallery.cgi?f=xxxx).

Also, shouldn't a view be counted regardless of why someone viewed it?

Perhaps another good page would be "most popular recent stuff".  Kind
of like recent sorted by hits.  I'll think about that.

KL