 Publishing / 2930
Re: Greatest Hits page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch writes:
I have added a dynamic greatest hits page to the gallery:

Actually, there are two greatest hits pages:

Folders with most viewed files:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/hits.cgi

Folders witih most views:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/fhits.cgi

Which one is better/more relevant?  The first one has the
added benefit of reducing the feedback loop of greatest hits getting more
hits because they are already high on the list.

Hey Kevin,

Lots of nice new features the last few days. Thanks again.

Comments and questions:
1) I think I prefer folders with most viewed files. (Not just saying that
'cause my Harry Potter is on the first page 8?) [and a majority of those
hits should have been from outside the LEGO community after THAT fiasco!])
2) Would there be a way of JUST doing the most viewed files themselves, no
folders involved? Or would this be too consuming time and effort wise? Would
it generate too many new hits?
3) Back to the hit counters, are the totals for the member main page
cumulative of the folders and files shown? Same for the individual folders?
Or are we seeing the actual times the individual 'view' (folder, file, page)
has been seen?
4) Is there a way to take the 'greatest hits' pages OUT of the count, and
avoid the feedback loop all together?

Matt