 Publishing / 2450
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:40:48 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I would be VERY VERY concerned if this move to LUGNET meant that Todd had to
do significant unplanned work and that it changed his priority scheme.

Why, Larry?  If Todd adds another Fan-Of-Lego service to LUGNET, how would
this detract from LUGNET's value?  Or is it strictly Todd's priority scheme
you're worried about?

The latter. It certainly would be neat to have LUGNET do and be everything
possibly (1) LEGO related. But I fear for dilution of focus and for Todd's
sanity (2). However he's said that:

a) he wants to do this
b) he doesn't see it as a huge impact

so that's cool. I'm just scared that we are trying to get LUGNET to do things
that are only vaguely LEGO related and that the marketplace already provides.

I haven't done a deep dive on whether there are other webring providers, but
if there are, and they're less objectionable than Yahoo (3) go with one of
them instead of adding baggage to LUGNET. But Todd said it's not MUCH baggage
so it's not a big issue.

If you want my support, anyway, you're going to have to be more forthcoming
with what the issues with WebRing/Yahoo are, and what features you are going
to introduce and what impact on the rest of the LUGNET Plan that will have,
instead of just making vague statements about your disappointment and telling
us that you can't tell us details.

Agreed here.  Tim, please give us more details.

On your porno ads thing... wow. I never get any porno banner ads. I'm
jealous. :-) What part of Yahoo do you hang out on? :-)

What I get in my banner ads (4) are offers for credit cards (like I need more
of those) brokerages, money management, level one stock trading services, and
a few misc consumer goods like high end cars. But then 95+% of my usage is
finance.yahoo.com where I track all the stocks I've ever owned in a personal
page, and 90% of the rest is using my mailbox.

1 - even marginally
2 - like he's 100% sane to start with
3 - it matters not that I personally find Yahoo to be neat and benign, what
matters is that others such as yourself and James Brown would boycott... and
we need to be inclusive in this, we need ONE ring that everyone is in or it's
dilutive and less powerful, so we need a consensus solution that keeps
everyone happy. But I will remain the voice of reason if I can...
4 - I follow a few links to ads that I don't find objectionable on purpose so
that the system might think that those are the ads I want to see.