 Publishing / 2449
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:14:49 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:

If you haven't noticed already, Yahoo has taken over the WebRing
(http://www.webring.org) system alltogether.  It now introduces its
stripped-down navbar with limitations and advertising integrated, and limits
management options as well.  Those of you who followed my post before about
moving the ring to Lugnet understand that I want nothing to do with the new
Yahoo system.

Um, what is the problem, exactly, with Yahoo? As I said before in my reply to
your first note, I wanted to be sure that you weren't jettisoning just because
of an irrational fear of Yahoo. I may have missed your answer to that.

Well, quoting from the above, I personally suspect that much of Tim's
objections come from "...its stripped-down navbar with limitations and
advertising integrated, and [limited] management options as well."

For my own case, I will withdraw from the ring if it doesn't move somewhere
(Lugnet, or wherever) that doesn't involve "advertising integrated".  I pay
for advertising-free webspace, and will vote with my dollars to keep it that
way.

YMMV,

James