 Publishing / 2429
2428  |  2430
Subject:
Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:15:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

If you haven't noticed already, Yahoo has taken over the WebRing
(http://www.webring.org) system alltogether.  It now introduces its
stripped-down navbar with limitations and advertising integrated, and limits
management options as well.  Those of you who followed my post before about
moving the ring to Lugnet understand that I want nothing to do with the new
Yahoo system.

I am posting this to let everyone know that I am working on plans to have
the ring 'moved' in a sense over to Lugnet - though details have not been
finalized yet.  I've gotten a few emails about the ring and the new Yahoo
source code, and after getting time to sit down and look at it I am left
disappointed.  I cannot disclose specific ideas brought forth about the new
format of the ring, but I can tell you that it will in all likelyhood
fundamentally be changing, but I feel for the better.

As for the LDraw webring, it will probably become integrated into what is
put on Lugnet as well - it all fits together into one nice package.

I am also planning on writing an email complaint to Yahoo - not that I feel
it will do much, but to express my dissatisfaction in their actions in
taking over a true piece of web history and mucking it up -- especially to
the point of turning users away.

Thanks to all of you for supporting the ring over these last three and a
half years.  It wasn't always the most fun thing for me to do, but I
appreciate some of the feedback I've gotten about the ring.  I honestly
underestimated it!!

I'll keep everyone posted when I have new information to release on this.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne