 Publishing / 2444
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:

If you haven't noticed already, Yahoo has taken over the WebRing
(http://www.webring.org) system alltogether.  It now introduces its
stripped-down navbar with limitations and advertising integrated, and limits
management options as well.  Those of you who followed my post before about
moving the ring to Lugnet understand that I want nothing to do with the new
Yahoo system.

Um, what is the problem, exactly, with Yahoo? As I said before in my reply to
your first note, I wanted to be sure that you weren't jettisoning just because
of an irrational fear of Yahoo. I may have missed your answer to that.

Quoting from: http://dir.webring.yahoo.com/h/newstatus.html

To clarify some concerns:  The SSNB is not required for existing Rings.
RingMasters are not being asked to  replace existing HTML code --  the
HTML code still functions and Rings are still navigable.  Users can join
existing Rings from the current  join pages.  RingMasters and new users
are only required to register for a Yahoo! ID to manage Rings and join
Rings in the new system.

I have a Yahoo id, it's a very handy thing to have, so I don't see the concern
with having one.

I am posting this to let everyone know that I am working on plans to have
the ring 'moved' in a sense over to Lugnet - though details have not been
finalized yet.

I would be VERY VERY concerned if this move to LUGNET meant that Todd had to do
significant unplanned work and that it changed his priority scheme.

I've gotten a few emails about the ring and the new Yahoo
source code, and after getting time to sit down and look at it I am left
disappointed.  I cannot disclose specific ideas brought forth about the new
format of the ring, but I can tell you that it will in all likelyhood
fundamentally be changing, but I feel for the better.

If you want my support, anyway, you're going to have to be more forthcoming
with what the issues with WebRing/Yahoo are, and what features you are going to
introduce and what impact on the rest of the LUGNET Plan that will have,
instead of just making vague statements about your disappointment and telling
us that you can't tell us details.

ObDisclosure: I'm a not currently a Yahoo stockholder, but they have made me a
lot of money over the years, mostly because they're good at what they do, IMHO.

++Lar