 Publishing / 213
Re: Soliciting comments (and help) with online form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 05:04:10 GMT

Jim Hughes <hughesj@one.net> wrote:
Mike Stanley writes:

Anyone know a good Javascript book?  I'm heading over to bookpool.com
to see if I can find a good beginner (but not dummy) book - maybe
figure out how to actually create some of these simple things instead
of the sort of hit and miss canabalizing I'm doing now.  :)

try O'Reilly's Javascript, the definitive guide (mine has a rhino on
the cover but there is probably a newer version now). A good book
but the thing it really taught me is that there are too many differences
between browsers to do useful javascript programming.

Yeah, I flipped through that one today - might pick it up after all.
I usually think of the various O'Reilly's books as either reference
books or more suitable for advanced users, and I'm definitely not
advanced.

Kinda disappointing to hear that about javascript.

The reason I wanted to give javascript a whirl is that the account I
have on Pair right now doesn't allow me to use Perl on my own to do
custom CGI stuff.  I may upgrade to the account one step above mine,
the webmaster account, because it does allow full access to Perl, etc.
But that would be quite a step for me, one I won't make until I'm
satisfied with not only the Lego stuff I want to do with this site,
but the gaming and other reference things.  $17.95/mo I can deal with
right now, but I can't see switching to $29.95/mo until I learn enough
Perl to do some good.

Having said taht I think your order form is pretty cool.

Thanks!  It's mostly straight off cut-n-paste javascript at
infohiway.com, with some additions and subtractions on my part.  Seems
like there ought to be a less heavy-handed way for me to define a list
of items for each drop-down menu, especially since in that form
they're all the same in each of the ten lists, but I just wanted to
make it work as quickly as possible.

I kinda feel like someone who is taking a newspaper artile in another
language, one that he almost but not quite understands.  What I feel
like I'm doing is trying to replace the nouns with my own nouns while
leaving the verbs alone.  Kinda weird.

I think I'm going to take a look at a couple of online tutorials and
then order the Rhino book - thanks!

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET