 Publishing / 1623
Re: Does anyone know of a Free Image Splicing tool?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:10:54 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Anders Isaksson writes:
Richard Franks skrev i meddelandet ...

To clarify - I mean a tool that will allow me to select retangular areas, and
it will then cut up the image into other rectangular recursive sections, so
that it will fit into a HTML table. Typically the selected areas would be
used for rollovers - ie so you could have multiple rollovers embedded into
one image, and also include some of the navigation properties of an image
map.

Take a look at http://www.b-zone.de/software/splitz.htm
I think this is what you're talking about.

Argh! Windows! :)

Thanks for the link - that tool is certainly really handy for 90% of people,
but unfortunately I need it to do something more complex, eg
<http://lightning.prohosting.com/~spontif/imgsplice/tst/tst.html>
(test image curtesy of Scott Arthur
<http://www154.pair.com/eh105jb/lego/LEGO.htm>).

What's happening there is two rollovers overlapping (not spacially), but in x
or y coordinates. What Splitz does is split the entire image into one evenly
spaced table, which means that you can't have your rollovers *anywhere* you
want.

The utility that I spent a few hours last week on spat out the above test,
which is slightly different as it recursively splits the image into
(increasingly) smaller tables.

Unfortunately tcl/tk doesn't write jpegs, and only outputs uncompressed gifs -
argh! I'll probably write some script-fu to make the Gimp batch convert them at
some point..

Any suggestions for better solutions - the recursive tables or the image
formatting, or my incredibly bad use of HTML are welcome :)

Richard