 Pirates / 935
Re: Pirate MOCs on Brickshelf!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:

Oops... managed to post this without any comments...

I finally got around to finishing and photographing some pirate ships. I'll be
adding these to my web page soon, but for now, go take a peek at Brickshelf.

The first ship starts with a hull from 6250, but doesn't follow much else (I
think I sort of followed the first couple of steps [not even exactly, I
substituted black 2x4 bricks for the underside, why waste grey bricks where no
one can see them?]). This ship has been outfitted for Evil Steve's Pirate
Game. It has two cannon and a crew of 12 on board. You can see how the ship
compares to a stock 6250. It's quite a bit more massive.

I like the color combinations and the top-heavy 1500-1600 design, but with that
one standard squaresail, the poor thing is still looks like a medieval cog.
The problem is that getting a second mast is tough with two cannon and twelve
crew.  The best solution I can come up with is rigging more like the Imperial
Flagship...if you have the parts, of course, always a problem when you have a
massive fleet to maintain.

The second ship (which I actually mostly built first, a while ago, but I
finally finished the rigging) is what I call the Red Sea's Barracuda. I used
6289 Red Beard's Runner hulls, but basically followed the 6285 Black Sea's
Barracuda instructions. I modified the gun deck to hold 3 cannon, and moved
the upper deck gun port so a cannon could actually be fitted there. I also
worked on the cabin, and especially set it up so another cannon can be fitted
in there. This is all to get the 5 broadside cannon the pirate game allows. I
had hoped to use dark grey almost exclusively, unfortunately, there were many
dark grey parts I just couldn't find, or ran out of. I need to get more red
1x10 plates so I can make the spars red (I broke open 6 Axe Carts to get the
1x4 plate with rod, note that I used this instead of the 1x2 plate with rod so
that the spars are studs up so pirates can stand on them, I'll be modifying
all my older ships to studs up spars).

Now, this is the kind of unified color scheme that I like.  I love switching
hulls around to create a new look.

More details later...

Frank