 Pirates / 4524
4523  |  4525
Subject:
New Member Intro and Gunboat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:09:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Folks, Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Christopher Templin and I am a historical reenactor from upstate New York, where it is finally winter-like weather. I have been working on as scale as possible model of the HMS Surprise from Master and Commander and almost have the gundeck completed, but more on that another time.

I wanted to show off a little creation of mine. It is a gunboat similar to the type that would have been used during the Seven Years (French and Indian) War and the American Revolution on larger lakes like Lake Champlain and the St. Lawrence River, as well as around important coastal areas such as the Chesepeake Bay and the Hudson River.

I made it from two of the larger Belville style rowboats. Placed end to end it give a rather good length and the depth needed for two oarsmen. I places a mast slightly forward of the middle and made a small outboard rudder. The cannon is a slightly modified version of Richie Dulin’s (thanks for the inspiration). It has no wheels as those on the gunboats were often mounted on slides. I would like to put swivel guns on its sides if anyone has any suggestions on how I might do that. Please let me know what you think, the link to my brickshelf gallery is as follows.

Thanks, Christopher Templin