 Pirates / 4460
Re: Yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:46:47 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Johannes Koehler wrote:
   Aye!

Ahoy there! Your post appeared just in time!

   I’ve always been a fan of pirates. Prior to Lego’s official Pirates line I was forced to create my pirate figures with non-Lego material. I leave out the link to those customized figs here.

Anyway, in 1989 Lego came up with real pirates and I was instantly hooked. However, in the long run these official Pirates minifigs are getting somewhat boring.... always the same naked men with printed striped shirts...

Ha! :) Poor pirates, with those striped-shirt tattooes on their chests...

   So now I tried to build new pirate figs that are a bit more elaborated. I’m sure others came up with these Ideas before, but here are mine:

»snipped links«

Very nice. I especially like the way you used plastic minifig capes for sashes.

   My first attempt had been this figure that was inspired by Captain Jack Sparrow:

Sweet. The irony of a fierce pirate wearing Aunt May’s blouse (from Spiderman) made me smile.

   I found it wasn’t to easy to find fitting minifig torsos that looked suiting to caribbean pirates from the 17th to 18th century.

That’s the truth! Legs can be plain, many heads will work (as long as there’s no sunglasses or microphone), but those torsos are a challenge.

I’ve been building a crew over the last few weeks, and the torsos are giving me a real headache. I’ve resorted to going a outside the limits of the Pirates theme to increase the ranks. I’m using some of the Western figs, lotsa jedi torsos, some Castle shirts (especially the Dark Forest subtheme), and even Gungan torsos (cabin boys will wear anything).

Maybe if I add a few rubber-band belts and cape-sashes, that would help them look more pirate-y...

Steve