 Pirates / 3847
Re: ESPG Rule Mod?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 06:13:05 GMT

I wouldn't go with the draft idea, unless it was minimal. If anything, I'd say
class minus three inches. This would make big ships use boats, but allow cutters
to pull right up next to the islands. Ports would of course be deep enough for
anything up to a class 8 to pull up alongside.

We could consider giving some players a merchant ship plus an Imperial cutter as
an escort craft. This would get the merchants in the game. The escort craft
wouldn't be tradable; the merchants ship would earn money by travelling between
the major ports without getting robbed. Since it would be undergunned and
undermanned, it would still be balanced, IMO, to have that player control it and
a cutter, since the cutter's crew and cannon are basically what the merchant
would be missing, anyway.

As far as modifying the ships to allow more cannon or something: I just
don't see this type of rule as necessary. The goal is to get money and buy a
bigger ship with more cannon. As I have refined my game play, we are seeing
upgrades more often.

I have a class 7 with 3 broadside cannon, 2 chasers on the bow on turntables, 2
turntable cannon on the poop, and 2 open cannon spots for the rear hull
openings. I've taken them and one side of the broadsides away in order to get to
the seven cannons allowed. It does seem like somewhat of a waste that there are
five open spots designed for a cannon on my ship (ISS Adventure)...however if
one were to make adding cannon available by 100g purchases from the sutler, I
suspect things could get out of hand, or at least potentially unbalanced. But, I
could see allowing a cap on cannons at class+1 for narrow-hull ships and class+2
for wide-hull ships.

This brings up another question: What about double-decker ships like the
Agamemnon?

On simplification and options: One of the game theories that I have been
developing is that for a game to be interesting, you must be making
meaningful choices. If the rules make one course of action too obvious, that
reduces choices. If the game eliminates too many choices, that doesn't work
either. If the game becomes so complex that your choices actually aren't
that meaningful (Which path do I take through this 50 step flowchart? The
one that ultimately gives me a 51% chance of  hitting, or the one that
ultimately gives me a 52% chance of hitting, but has a 1% chance of
backfire? That's not a meaningful choice, and we've burned a lot of time on
it). In fact, you need to be making meaningful choices at some reasonable
rate (say at least 1 per 10-15 minutes of play) in order for the game to be
interesting.

I agree completely.

All of this is not to dismiss discussion of the rules. There is room for
improvement in the game. I encourage people to play the game and tell us
what frustrated you about the game. Be careful of suggesting rules changes
before even playing (I know, I want to do that all the time, but experience
has taught me to go slow with rules changes, and really make an effort to
try the rules as written first as much as possible [other than flavor
choices like deciding to use a 4 stud LEGO inch instead of an Imperial
inch]).

Although I haven't played yet, I can already see some things that will come up
when I run the game, due the the composition of my collection:

1) Most of my cannon shoot. I put the non-shooting ones in the broadsides and
try to make every turnable cannon a shooting one. Most of my ships carry large
amounts of cannonballs, too. Players will probably be given the option of
actually shooting if they'd like.

2) I have a large number of Imperials. Some players will probably play them and
try to hunt the pirates down/play escort/go on patrol/go explore
islands/treasure hunt.

3) I don't have enough weapons for my pirates. Pirates won't come with them, and
I'll make some basic fistfight rules (KO on a 6?).

4) Most of my Imperial ships (and even some of the larger pirates) have surgeons
onboard. These figs carry briefcases (presumably filled with medical supplies)
and the chrome silver knives (closest thing to a scapel). Saving throws against
death? In the rules, all hits are kills. I think I might come up with something
simple for injured people. Injured pirates would have no actions and would be
unable to move unless assisted by two other pirates. They would no be able to
hold anything (to include weapons) and would have to stay lying down on the
deck. A medic would have to attend to them for say, 3 to 5 turns for them to
recover, maybe rolling for recovery.

One of my next improvements is going to be to replace the treasure rolling
with a draw from a deck of cards, which will reduce the GM involvement (just
declare what you're searching and draw). I'll have to decide if I still want
to benefit larger search parties, and how. What would be nice is if the
regular treasure chests had studs inside, one of my thoughts would be to set
up a coding system so after drawing your card, you pull an appropriate chest
from the treasure pile - I may just go with coding on the cover of the
chest, but it's nice to be able to use those studs for pirates to stand on
or to stack the chests. Another way would be a 1x3 plate with the code on it
to be put inside the chest (I originally collected a huge amount of gold
coins to use with the game, but I realized I don't want to deal with all the
small parts so the ideal would be for the chests to be a single piece).

I just bought more than half the gold coins on Bricklink. If not gold or gems in
the chests, I would use the little paper tickets, rolled or folded up, inside
the chest and barrels. The 1x3 idea is interesting, but I think it'd be simpler
and give more variety to just print stuff out.