 Pirates / 3421
3420  |  3422
Subject:
what do you think?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:53:35 GMT

this may be an odd question, but it stems from my thoughts on lego ships. so,
here we go: there are many sizes of ships that have been built, everything from
jolly boats to cutters to sloops to frigates to sail of the line. all have at
least a couple of examples rendered in lego. now, what do you think is the ideal
size for lego ships? for example, i have great respect for the builders of ships
such as HMS Floater (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=4470) , or
this Korean built ship:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=28052,
but i would not attempt to build one myself. why? you may ask, well, i think
that ships lose their "playability" as they get larger. i like to build ships
that have some playability still, so i choose to build ships that are 3-4 center
sections long. of course,there are other factors that influence my decision to
build that size, such as the size of lego sails, hull parts, etc, and ships can
be built larger if the builder does not have the same constraints as i do. some
builders choose to make custom sails, which allows them to build larger ships,
for example, the Miserable. it is 6 center sections long, but has wider sails
than the lego ones, so it looks good! i tried to build a similar size ship, but
without custom sails, it didnt look right. on the other end of the spectrum, one
may built small ships, from cutters to single center section boats. i personally
dont like building them, i dont get as much enjoyment out of them, not really
sure why, but i just dont. but, that is just me. so, i guess it comes down to:
what size of ship do you prefer to build, and why?

steve