 Pirates / 3408
Re: Who says nobody builds ships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:41:05 GMT

Nice work.The colour scheme is great, and the extended oars really look the part. To be pedantic, triangular foresails are not particularly castle-ish.

Actually, I debated for some time whether or not to retain the foresail. In end I opted to do so simply because it gave the ship a bit of length and added a bit of ‘structure’ to the front the the vessel without me needing to expand the front castle overly much (I tried making the aforementioned castle larger, but I didn’t like how it looked). I suppose I could have found a better solution then the sail, but I was eager to take the ship down and get started on a truly massive warship.

   Also, you can avoid fabric sails fraying if you glue along the cutting line (PVA glue is good) before you cut.

Thanks for the advice actually. I plan to do quite a bit more in both the field of creating castle-esque ships and late 18th and early 19th century sailing vessels. Seeing as how I need to expand the type and size of sails beyond what TLC offers, this should be very useful information.

That sterncastle is very well shaped.

Thank you!

   Again, great work. I like that the wharf is a decent height too (not the two-brick high official LEGO models! Nice for docking rowboats at, but not much else). Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions. I will definitely take some of your constructive criticism to heart to improve my future vessels.

-Ben Harris