 Pirates / 3347
    Re: custom sails —Richie Dulin
   In lugnet.pirates, Tom Reed writes: (Some good advice on sail making). Just a couple of extra points - The product I used for the Misérable and the Intracty was a US product called "Stiffie" (!) I used a standard paper hole punch for the rigging (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.pirates)

        Re: custom sails —David Laswell
     (...) If you're going to use a paper punch on fabric, you might want to buy a dedicated paper punch and never use it on anything _but_ fabric. Paper will dull any cutting edge (in theatre, you learn that a very painful way to commit suicide is to (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.pirates)

        Re: custom sails —Stephen Rowe
   (...) i wonder if they have that at my local fabric store. :-) the stuff i have right now is a heavy 100% cotton canvass. it is relatively stiff, but i may try to stiffen it up. (...) i found that 2x1 plates with the rod attached perpendicular to it (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.pirates)

        Re: custom sails —Tom Reed
     (...) I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sure most of the fabric stiffeners would be fine! You may have to experiment with whether you want to dilute it or not. In my case, I didn't like the amount of stiffness that the full strength solution (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.pirates)

        Re: custom sails —Richie Dulin
   (...) <snip> (...) I find they work well when the arm is studs up (ie attached to the mast with a 1x4 plate with rod down), and less well for studs down (ie attached to the mast with a 1x4 or 1x2 plate with rod up). The Port Brique workaround for (...) (21 years ago, 15-May-03, to lugnet.pirates)