 Pirates / 3352
Re: custom sails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 00:19:27 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
I used a standard paper hole punch for the rigging holes. The paper hole
punch won't work very well on unstiffened fabric.

     If you're going to use a paper punch on fabric, you might want to buy a
dedicated paper punch and never use it on anything _but_ fabric.  Paper will
dull any cutting edge (in theatre, you learn that a very painful way to
commit suicide is to start randomly picking up scissors in a costume shop
and then cut construction paper with them).  Since paper punches don't work
quite the same way as scissors it might not make as much of a difference,
but it certainly can't hurt to assume it does.  But yeah, I'm sure
stiffening up the fabric does wonders for making it work, since paper
punches don't typically shear as tightly as good scissors do.