 Pirates / 2971
Re: How to make sea-side villages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Kane writes:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a dock-side town and am wondering how to go
about it. You see, I guess one would normally like to have docks which are
3-4 bricks high, but does that mean the entire village must be elevated by
this much. How do other people handle this problem. Do they simply place
all of the town baseplates on stilts?

Cheers,

Stephen

Ahoy,

In Port Brique, the sea wall is 12-13 bricks high, with the dock located
about half way up at 6 bricks high. The streets are created with 8x16 (or
bigger) bricks located on top of the sea wall. The visible parts are red
outlined in white, the hidden parts in blue. Extra supports (also in blue)
help hold up the streets. The best pics of the construction are:

www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/wharves.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/pol_0013.jpg or
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/birdseyeview.jpg

I've built three modules, 2 are 70x16, the other a bit larger. They eat
bricks! (Hint: lots of 3033's!)

So far the whole town is constructed at 12 bricks or higher elevation,
although there are plans to develop a swampy hinterland at sea level.
(Psst... Anyone want to buy some prime development land?)

It does look good to have the streets higher than the dock, but a sea wall
of 12 bricks is probably a bit over the top. Frank's approach of ramping the
docks down to a street level is definitely the cleverest.

Cheers

Richie Dulin