 Pirates / 2604
  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Aha! Makes sense to me! I've come across a number of instances where gun brigs and cutters were listed as gunboats, but that definition clears things up neatly. (...) The very same! (...) Well, I have a feeling that after the Nile, the French (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Later gunboats were also designed for river penetration and close-in assault and, frankly, terror operations against foes without similar capability. The earlier definition seems like the more piratical one, though. :D (...) Political (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Quite right. Napoleon never had a grasp of the Navy. I mean, embarking his Grand Armee into light vessels and trying to get out of port in the space of a few hours... those 'send the army on porpises' made more sense, for crying out loud! (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I just pulled my copy of 'Conway's The Line of Battle' off the shelf, realizing I should have looked earlier on this subject. Apparently, the French *invented* the mortar ship back in the mid 17-century. The book wasn't too specific on the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)