 Pirates / 2600 (-20)
  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I'm considering a gunboat to be a large, sloop rigged open boat with a single forward mounted cannon. I'm presuming it would probably be/could be stowed aboard a larger vessel (1). Later gunboats were definitely larger vessels, and would have (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Excellent. I hadn't found a mention of "Lieutenant de vaisseau" (although it seemed obvious that the French would have a Lieutenant in there somewhere). And I hadn't found any mentions of enlisted ranks. Cheers Richie Dulin (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've (...) My French rates even worse than my access to a good library :-( I've found some references to "enseigns" (1st and 2nd class) (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Hmm... now I might be on the wrong page here, but I would always have expected only commissioned officers to command vessels -- at least in Britain. In other words, Commanders for the Brig and the Sloop (depending on the latter's size) and (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  USS COnstitution photos

I recently had the opportunity to visit the USS Constitution as part of a Maritime Archeology course, and was given access to parts of the ship not opened regularly to tourists. I took a few photos, and thought that they might be of interest to the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) because it's modern (Fifth Republic). From ancien-regime through Republican through Napoleonic, there's considerable variation in organization; whether or not this was reflected in rank orders is not something I'm certain of. I mean, for LEGO (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I'm disappointed in your web searching skills, LFB :) I found this page after about a minute. It's a web page that lists a lot of different country's ranks of their various military branches. Unfortunately (or not) the ranks are in the native (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks. I think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any titles for you. How's your French? Do you (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks. I think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any titles for you. How's your French? Do you (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I haven't seen too many references to French naval ranks in the Napoleonic period. The "Piratic Era" might be better considered ancien-regime; at least there, the ranks are standard. One of the problems with the Revolution, Directory, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  French Navy Ranks

I'm building up a small French fleet (Napoleonic/Pirate era), and would like to have authentic(ish) crew and ranks. The fleet will be commanded by a Capitain de Corvette sailing in a 12 gun brig, and the other two ships are a bomb ketch and a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: some new and some old stuff

(...) Not to mention one of the coolest ships I've ever seen! Jeremy Scott (23 years ago, 21-Mar-02, to lugnet.space, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: brickshop open...baseplates, minifigs, western and more

I just wanted to apologize for the appearance of spamming...this was unintentional. I have been working with lugnet admin and tech support for the past week trying to figure out why I could not post to the newsgroups and I attempted the posts to the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Refitting disabled shooting cannons

(...) The web interface search engine gives this promising start, the thread that includes: (URL) There's much more if you type "disabled shooting cannon" in the search window. best LFB PS: Can't really help you on brickshelf. (23 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: brickshop open...baseplates, minifigs, western and more

A single posting, crossposted, would have sufficed instead of 12 or so individual postings. Also, sale or shop announcements belong *only* in the .market groups; for brickshops, in .market.b-s-t and .market.brickshops. Always best to ask before you (...) (23 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  brickshop open...baseplates, minifigs, western and more

Greetings all, I have just recently opened a store front at bricklink.com called "All Things Lego" and I'm trying to figure out where the appropriate postings for this kind of thing are supposed to go. I haven't been on the newsgroups for quite some (...) (23 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Refitting disabled shooting cannons

Um, hi. i havent posted for a while couse i had nothin to post about. some of you might not remeber me but im david gardner age 11. anyway i got 2 shoting cannons that are disabled awhile back and i want to know if you can make them shoot agian. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  ISCC: The winners are...

Hello, here they come: The winners of the 1st ISCC in 2001. Have a look at www.creativity-contest.net or www.1000steine.de/english.htm for the ranking site and for browsing all entries again, if you want. Have a nice sunday, René (23 years ago, 10-Mar-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.space) !!

  Re: Pirate Game Rules Thoughts

(...) That works well for some players, but if you recall, there is always one player who hasn't even started plotting when you ask if all plotting is complete. (...) In the role playing game, winning has generally be determined by wealth. In the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Mar-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pirate Game Rules Thoughts

(...) I had a hard time figuring out how plotting worked from the sheet. But once plotting was explained to me it was dead simple. But then I've done Star Fleet Battles(tm) plotting which is quite complex compared to this. I think plotting adds a (...) (23 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact