 Pirates / 2376
Re: Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:07:42 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Andrzej M. Szlaga writes:
Hello,

Could you help me? I need English names of all military ranks from
sailor to captain.

Thanks and bye,
The ranking systems are basically the same for all navies around the world.

You have two different 'classes', if you will, in a Navy: Officer and Enlisted.

For the officers it goes like this (from lowest Officer rank to highest rank):

Ensign (one thick stripe)
Lieutenant (Junior Grade) (1 thick stripe with a thin stripe)
Lieutenant (2 thick stripes)
Lieutenant Commander (2 thick stripes with a thin stripe in between)
Commander (3 thick stripes)
Captain (4 thick stripes)
Rear Admiral (Lower Half) (1 star)
Rear Admiral (Upper Half) (2 stars)
Vice Admira (3 stars)
Admiral (4 stars)

For the enlisted in the Navy, and in the Coast Guard as well (lowest to
highest):

Seaman Recruit
Seaman
Seaman 1st Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

The term 'Midshipman' was used to discribe young men that were training to
be officers in the Navy about 100 years ago, and is still used today for
young men and women in US Naval ROTC, at the United States Naval Academy,
the Canadian Royal Naval Academy, and the Royal Naval Academy in the UK.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and helpful.

Rick