 Pirates / 1043
Re: Pirate minifig question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:03:49 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Bruce Schlickbernd (<Fw7wC3.6uA@lugnet.com>) wrote
at 22:40:51

In lugnet.pirates, Jason Maxwell writes:
I've been reading the Hornblower stories (and I watched the A&E miniseries)
and I've decided to change my "classification" of the Pirate minifigs.  I
think something more realistic would be:

Blue soldiers: Replace shako with bicorn hat, naval officers
Red Soldiers: Marines
Striped shirted pirates: Naval "enlisted" personnel
All others: Pirates

<snip>

Naval pressed personnel could wear just about anything on a daily basis, so you
don't have to restrict crews to stripped shirts, though there probably would be
a fair amount of white pants (made from sailcloth).

This is a fair description of how the Brickish Navy operates, although
no-one gets pressed, they all get moulded :-)

I've found blue-coats more prevelant than red-coats, so getting the proper
proportion of red to blue may be difficult.

Actually, I seem to have the proportions just right, as I've had
difficulty getting hold of the older blue soldiers in new condition, but
I've bought loads of newer set with redcoats. The problem I have is what
to do with all the officers, and believe me, when you've bought as many
6263 Imperial Outposts as I have, you've got a *lot* of governors :-)

--
Tony Priestman