 People / LGBT / 55
Re: Is lgbt going to build a moc together?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   Hmmmmmm did someone say, follow the yellow brick road?

No! No!!!! Aaaah! FAAAAAAAAbulous!

Make sure you click through to http://www.bmts.com/~bccook/oz.htm, kiddies! Priceless!

   Couldn’t resist posting that MOC, but seriously, didn’t know there was a connection. Maybe someone could enlighten me before the winged monkeys come take me away. Please don’t tell me to ask the wizard.

The wizard is just an old fool. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Short answer: “Come out, come out, wherever you are.”

Long answers: Click http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030909.html to learn more about why Judy Garland is such a gay icon; I’ll add that many believe her death in 1969 sparked the Stonewall Riots, issuing in the modern gay rights era. And every time I watch “The Wizard of Oz,” the Scarecrow, Tin Woodsman, and especially the Cowardly Lion just get gayer. I mean, that number Bert Lahr (Lion) does at the gates to the Wizard’s palace is just about the minciest thing I’ve ever seen. “I’m just a dandy lion” ? Puh-lease.

Personal answers: It was definitely my favorite movie growing up. Every year, CBS would broadcast it, and every year I’d plop down and get swept away into the magical technicolor world. When Margaret Hamilton came on Mr. Rogers out of costume, I screamed and ran out of the room before I could learn the valuable lesson that she was just pretending to be the Wicked Witch. My dad read it to me when I was little, and some of the first books I ever read on my own were from the series. (I’d guess a dozen volumes are still in my parents’ house.) As soon as I figured out how much gay subtext you could read into it, I loved it even more, and bought a copy of it on tape long even though I wouldn’t own a VCR for years. I know the film made it easier to come out to my parents. The first time I ever sang karaoke, I sang “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” (It did not go well, and I did not care. My boyfriend at the time barely forgave me.) When I lived in North Carolina, my license plate was “FRNDOF.” (The punctuation is absolutely critical to getting it, kids.) I still cry when I watch the film. There’s a lot about me that isn’t stereotypically gay, but I am a Dorothy loving, Wizard of Oz watching, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” singing queen, and damn proud of it. I guess the only thing I haven’t done is dress up for Halloween. Someday...

--oops-- Yellow Brick Teddy