 People / 4283
Re: Why is .rtltoronto the friendliest place on Lugnet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Tim David wrote:
I've no doubt it is (1), even if to an outsider understanding most of the jokes
is a bit of problem (2). But why?

Well first, it's friendly because it's a group of people who know each other in
real life now.  No one, with probably the exception of Mario and I, who used to
work together, knew each other BEFORE meeting in rtlToronto, but we're now all
(more or less) friends.  Other "regulars" here are people we've met (Rosco, the
Bogers, Kevin Clague, Steve etc) in our travels etc.

Because of regular dinners, every month, there's a lot of inside jokes.  Some
of them begin online, like Steve's Balls, others are long running and start at
events.

My theory is that it is because it is the only geographical area group that has
continued to use Lugnet for its forum. With the net allowing people to find that
thay are not the only AFOL in the world the AFOL society has moved from a global
one to more localised. This has brought more segregation, regional groups have

You're probably right--we're one of the last LUG/LTC/whatevers using their NG.
Most have moved to private forums or listservs to handle most administration, we
still debate most stuff in public.  Really private stuff still goes on in email,
but it's the mechanics/logistics of running events.

rtlToronto, also has a high amount of frivolity and camaraderie, which is
probably in other LUGs in real get togethers, but for us is always mirrored
online.

To my mind this is a bad thing, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work Huw
has done to create the Brickish forum and many of the things discussed there
would have no relevance to the wider AFOL community BUT, at the same time, • there
are many things that would be of interest, both from the Lego point of view and
from the community point of view.

Well, the global community got very very large.  And while it used to be just
enough to find another soul who loved Lego, today, a regional presence makes
people you can meet up with, go hunting for bargains with, trade and draft
pieces, gossip about new sets over a coffee much more more involving than
flaming some guy called "JediMaster821@aol.com" over a forum thread :)

To me it's obvious how a regional group like 1000steine or the UK group has a
certain draw and a sense of community.

The other force would be theme groups--where people of a certain interest (say, Castle or Pirates or roleplayers or whatever) share that common bond.  They're out there because they all like something, they all like balladeering or they all "get" the various design themes or factions (PCS, 3vil, etc) they've made for themselves.  It's like a storyline or narrative they've made for their own tribe. The problem there is you lose the immediacy of being together physically at a location, reading laughter, body language, a smile, a friendly gesture, anger, cynicism, whatever, when you're online.   That's why it's crucial to have events like BrickFest--they bring everyone together.   The rousing cheer of ".space!" is a testament to that.

rtlToronto is both aligned in geography (GTA) and subject (robotics, trains,
things technical and silly) which makes it doubly powerful if you're into that
direction.  But it's also very narrow, which admittedly can come across as a
little bit cliquish.  We don't apologize for this, because we're not in the
habit of holding your hand or in the business of making it fun for everyone.
Some people "get it" and fit in, some people don't, I suppose.

Calum