 People / 4281
Re: Why is .rtltoronto the friendliest place on Lugnet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:21:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Tim David wrote:

I've no doubt it is (1), even if to an outsider understanding most of the jokes
is a bit of problem (2). But why?
My theory is that it is because it is the only geographical area group that has
continued to use Lugnet for its forum. With the net allowing people to find that
thay are not the only AFOL in the world the AFOL society has moved from a global
one to more localised.

It's an interesting theory, but I would have to say that can't be the main
reason.  For one, even though U.S. LUGNET posters may be spread out
geographically, we do have common gathering points like Brickfest.  The very
real possibility of meeting and talking to people in real life has to have some
effect on whether or not you take a more civil tome with them online.  I would
think that it would create a positive effect and a greater willingness to be
friendly - but I could be wrong.

Another factor may just be size -- I was reading 1000steine daily a couple of
years ago and it seemed a much friendlier place than LUGNET at the time (may
still be - I just don't go there that often anymore), but it was a much smaller
group of people.

Another extremely friendly (and imho much more mature, polite, and agreeable)
group of toy fans can be found on playmoboard (1), which is, coincidentally,
having a discussion comparing Lego and Playmobil currently(2).  It reminds me a
lot of rtl and LUGNET in the early days, when Lego boards really could make
claim to the title of "friendliest place on the internet."  Sadly, those days
are gone.

(1)(http://www.playmoboard.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=)

(2)
http://www.playmoboard.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=4bbb29e8d0534bed98230e9eccd6b732&threadid=10441