 People / 3180
Re: I'll be back when LUGNET has less flame. I've had enough.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:21:03 GMT

In lugnet.people, Frank Filz writes:

- It's hard to ignore flame wars. It can be especially hard when a
simple comment erupts into one. It's especially hard when the flame war
comes off as a roasting of an individual, and especially after someone
calls out some activity as being "unhelpful" and then several people
chime in about how funny or appropriate they thought the "unhelpful"
comment was (and this most recent activity isn't the first time it's
happened - actually there's even two flame wars going on right now with
some similarities).

Speaking as one of the guilty parties here, I don't think the majority of us
meant to hurt anyone's feelings or fan any sort of flame war.  If it makes you
feel any better, I probably feel worse having participated with what I thought
was an innocent remark than you do having merely read the thread as a
bystander.

Think about it the next time you slam someone.

The trouble is, often people's posts unintentionally offend others-- with so
many different people here with different things going on in their lives, I
suppose it is bound to happen.  OTOH if everyone is on pins and needles trying
to phrase posts so that there is no possible way anyone could be offended,
there would be no spontanaity, and I suspect reading Lugnet wouldn't be as fun.
Certainly posting wouldn't be.

I sometimes wonder why I continue to be active myself. Fortunately,
every once in a while, someone posts a response to one of my posts which
makes me feel good. I also consider whether other factors in my life are
the real cause of my feeling cruddy and try not to let Lugnet get to me
too much, but I also wonder how much of an energy drain Lugnet is.

And that's another thing.  Lots of times we read posts on Lugnet that we enjoy
even if we don't respond.  For instance, I enjoyed reading about your move, but
I never said anything or asked any questions about it because Sheree R. said
many of the same things I would have said.  And some of my favorite posts are
those "Look how I cram all this LEGO into my small living space" posts-- I'm
sure many of us get a chuckle out of those because we can identify with them,
even though the majority of us don't comment.

I have been emailed privately by someone I inadvertantly offended and, of
course, apologized FWIW.  But if anyone else is offended by my posts please
realize I don't mean to be offensive (and I think this is true of most posters
here). If I do, I will try to indicate precisely my intention to offend! j/k

Maggie C.