 People / 3177
Re: I'll be back when LUGNET has less flame. I've had enough.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 04:53:14 GMT

Jon Palmer wrote:
Whats the deal with you (and others) feeling you're so inundated by
flame-wars and long bickering threads?  Why not just ignore them?  I've
participated here since '99 and I've only read part of *one* 'Flame-War'.
And thats because I started it. ;-) (Bionicle Avatars)

The deal is that when I started on Lugnet some 2.5 years ago, the
flamewars were fewer and shorter. I'm not sure of all the reasons for
what we're seeing, but I think it is a symptom of something real. Some
things to think about:

- The community is large enough now that it's hard to know everyone.
This by itself contributes to the feeling of being inundated.

- People making these dramatic exits are telling us something. People
are telling us they are leaving because Lugnet provided them a
significant connection, and they feel bad that they have lost it.

- There is so much more local organization that Lugnet is no longer the
only place to find fellow fans of the brick.

- It's hard to ignore flame wars. It can be especially hard when a
simple comment erupts into one. It's especially hard when the flame war
comes off as a roasting of an individual, and especially after someone
calls out some activity as being "unhelpful" and then several people
chime in about how funny or appropriate they thought the "unhelpful"
comment was (and this most recent activity isn't the first time it's
happened - actually there's even two flame wars going on right now with
some similarities).

We are social animals and have a profound need to share our lives with
others. Lugnet was (and in many ways still is) one way to do this
sharing.

We're also participating in a hobby which the general populace thinks is
"weird". And our demographics probably make us more susceptible to being
worried about being "weird".

Think about it the next time you slam someone.

I sometimes wonder why I continue to be active myself. Fortunately,
every once in a while, someone posts a response to one of my posts which
makes me feel good. I also consider whether other factors in my life are
the real cause of my feeling cruddy and try not to let Lugnet get to me
too much, but I also wonder how much of an energy drain Lugnet is.

The good thing is that I've had nothing but positive feelings about all
the PNLTC activities I've participated in since I started my journey to
Oregon (including the seedling planted almost three years ago). I'm also
having positive feelings around my church activity. Sadly, I'm not
feeling so great about RPGs or caving (though in the case of caving, I'm
suspecting I'm passing on from that stage of my life - in part, I think
caving is not as good a social outlet as my other interests).

Frank