 People / 3110
Re: What's going on in the LEGO world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:00:01 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

There's nothing really going on out of the ordinary here.  This happens to at least
one "large collection" person a year, if not more.

I stated my reasons - I live in a 2BR apt, and I'm looking at buying a house (this
was a longtime wish, but just recently has it become a possibility within a year or
2).  If I do, it will be ALL the way across the country, so I need to pare my
collection down to a "measly" 200-300K bricks or so to make the move managable.
And I'm tired of literally having a tiny aisleway through every room of the apt
except the kitchen and bedroom (NOT the master bedroom - that one was taken by Lego
and computers from day one).  I want an apt I can actually invite people into and
have room for them to sit down (I'm being completely serious when I say the ONLY
place guests could currently sit down now would be in the bedroom on the bed, or
out on the porch).

Wow, that's worse than my place was. At least in my place, three people
could sit around the dining room table. I'm really hoping that my 500k
piece collection will fit into my 2 bedroom apartment with room to
spare. I'm planning on only having display in the living/dining room. I
do have a garage which is where the LEGO currently is (ask Steve
Barile).

I think you're smart to try and target for 200-300k bricks. I strongly
suspect this is the largest collection manageable by a single person
(it's not really fair to compare Conan's collection since that isn't
managed by one person).

So what's the scoop on the move? Will you be leaving Netscape? Where
will you be moving to?

Just ask Russell Clark about how out of control my collection has gotten.  Last
time he saw my place, it was mild compared to now, and I really haven't bought much
Lego in the last 6 months.

I know the feeling, ask Mike Walsh or Cary Clark about my collection....

It can get worse though. After New Years I visited the Millere's. Their
HOUSE is approaching as bad as my apartment was. Mark has no idea of the
size of his collection. I told him it had to be a million bricks at
least.

I'm not even close to getting out of Lego, but it's time to get to the point where
I actually know WHAT I have and WHERE it is at all times.  That's going to probably
take $1K or more of storage drawers alone, and I'll have to sell off a good bit of
Lego to pay for those drawers and have the room to actually put them anywhere.

Storage does become an issue. I haven't figured out how I really want to
store mine. I really need to come up with a good solution because I'm
convinced a good solution would halve the space necessary.

Frank